Introducing the 5 Little Books Series
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” C.S. Lewis
"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." - Dr. Seuss
You'd Love to Read, But...
Many of us aspire to be great readers, many of you want to read more, and many share Lewis's affinity for longish books. We love a thick, hardback book in our hands, the kind with footnotes, the kind from the picture above.
But, more likely, while you agree with the great Dr. Seuss's quote, not so much the Lewis quote. The intimidating size, the expensive cost, and the required time are just too much.
But still you'd like to read and grow as a reader, but what to read? Who to read? And fit the reading into our budgets and schedules?
What I hope to do in this series of posts is to provide recommendations to great books that fit the bill on a range of categories from the doctrine of God, Christian thinking, family and marriage, understanding the Bible, prayer, and many more. Each post will contain at least 5 solid recommendations, a summary, a great quote from the book, and a link to purchase.
Here Be the Criteria
- Books that are in the target range of 80-150 pages in length.
- Books that cost less than $15.
- Books that are engaging and accessible, that is, mostly pitched at an average reading level.
- Authors that are worth knowing.
- One "stretch" book will be allowed on some lists. Something that exceeds the above limits, but not by much.
And to get started, here's the first post: 5 Little Books on the Doctrine of God.