Baptism: What The Bible Says
I saw a statement on a church website that I really liked and summed up the practice and theology of baptism well: We believe exactly what the Bible teaches about baptism:
- It washes our sins away.
- It is by immersion in water.
- It is for everyone of us.
- It is done in Jesus name.
I suppose I would add a few more short statements:
- It is a command of the Lord.
- It is for those who have repented to God.
- It is for those who believe on Jesus as Lord and Savior.
- It is how we publicly confess our sins.
- It is how we publicly make our profession of faith.
- It pictures judgment against sin by a flood of water.
- It visualizes the Gospel: the death and resurrection of Jesus.
- It is death to our old man, and life to our new man in Christ.
- It unites us with Christ.